The Committee on Ministry is proposing a revised covenant, called the “Covenant of Respectful Relations.” The proposed Covenant is the result of a survey of the congregation along with Committee review of similar covenants at other UU churches and congregations. UUCS members will vote on the proposed Covenant at a congregational meeting.
Following is the text of the proposed covenant;
Covenant of Respectful Relations
As members and friends of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Salem, we commit ourselves to practicing Unitarian Universalist principles in our daily lives. To that end we aspire
To join ourselves in community because we are stronger together.
- Be a welcoming congregation that encourages diversity.
- Encourage participation of young people in every aspect of the life of our congregation.
- Encourage all to express their opinions.
To foster healthy relationships
- Treat others and ourselves with dignity, respect, and consideration in our words and actions.
- Closely protect what is told to us in confidence.
- Address conflict in a timely way.
In all of these we strive for improvement, not perfection.
May it be so.